How to Search for Business by Phone Number?Published on June 08, 2022by Botster
Ever tried to find the business by phone number on your own?
If you have just one phone number to check, you can easily find it in Google Search or on Google Maps. But what if you need to check hundreds of phone numbers? Doing it manually is troublesome and very time-consuming ⌚
Below I’ll show you how to export tons of 🇺🇸US🇺🇸 businesses by phone numbers in no time!
The tool that I’m going to describe can find a business that owns the phone number in the United States only.
Over time I’m planning on extending the bot’s functionality to other countries as well and you can follow us on Twitter in case you would like to be the first one to find out.
To be honest, I discovered a way to find a business by phone number by… mistake. I intended to launch the Google Maps Scraper in order to export information about a few companies based on a bunch of keywords. Instead of the keywords however, I pasted their phone numbers.
I was pretty sure that the bot wouldn’t return any results. The more astonished I was when I opened the resulting spreadsheet and discovered… a list of companies found by the phone numbers I occasionally entered!
I can’t wait to share my findings with you, so here is a short and simple guide on how to search for business by phone number with the help of this bot!
How to tell what company owns a phone number
Next, open the Google Maps Scraper’s start page and name your job:
The next field to fill in is called ‘Google Maps search keywords’.
When I write step-by-step guides for my users, I always warn them against inserting the wrong queries into the fields and ask them to strictly obey this rule. Otherwise, the bot won’t return any results, and your money will be spent in vain.
But in this particular case, I’ll tell you the opposite: rules are made to be broken! 😉 Instead of inserting keywords, enter up to 1000 phone numbers that you would like to check.
⚠️ Important: Insert the numbers only (e.g. 19999999999), otherwise the bot will return an empty table.
⛔ No plus symbols
⛔ No minus symbols
⛔ No brackets
⛔ No whitespaces
⛔ No other symbols
⚠️ Remember: each phone must go on a new line:
✌️ Lifehack: If you already have a ready-made list of phone numbers with plus and minus symbols, brackets and/or whitespaces, don’t waste your time removing these manually. Use Excel’s automatic ‘Find & Replace’ function:
- Open the phone numbers list in the Excel format
- Press Ctrl + H
- Type + in the ‘Find’ field
- Leave the ‘Replace’ field empty
- Click on the ‘Replace all’ button
These simple steps will delete all plus symbols automatically.
Do the same for the minus sign, for each of the brackets, and for the whitespaces. Once you’ve removed all the unnecessary elements, copy the phone numbers into the necessary field as described above.
Next comes the ‘Limit’ field. This is where you are supposed to decide how many results you would like the bot to scrape.
Since one phone number can belong to one business only, select the first option - ‘Grab first result only’:
Now specify how you’d like the bot to notify you once it has managed to find business by phone number. There are many options available including:
- Google Drive
You can also attach the owner of business search results to your email if necessary (this is a free option):
And now it’s time to start the bot! Just click on the green button to your right:
Several minutes have passed, and the job is already done! Let’s take a look at the results: the bot has found out what business has this phone number and has returned the following details:
- Search query (i.e. the phone numbers we entered)
- Google Maps URL
- Opening hours (Monday through Sunday)
- Place ID
The resulting spreadsheet contains many useful columns. Below I’ll share with you some ideas on how to use this data to your advantage.
An honest confession
While writing this guide for you I decided to take a step further and check if my bot can retrieve businesses by address since two of your most frequent questions are:
- What business is at this address
- Can you find a business phone number by address only
So I wanted to check if my bot can do this for you. (You never know how far your brainchild’s talents may reach, you know). And here’s the moment of truth: no, it can’t 🙄 I did this check for you to spare you the time and the hopes!
Google Maps Scraper: the normal use
Now that you know how to search business by phone number you might be wondering how to use the Google Maps Scraper normally, i.e. the way it was intended to. I’ll tell you about it because it's a highly demanded bot. My clients use it to:
- Locate a business by phone number for the means of generating sales leads
- Find business by phone to generate service leads
- Scraping business contacts to find out which company has this phone number, etc.
The Google Maps Scraper extracts a list of places with info such as contact details from Google Maps based on your keywords and location:
To launch this bot, open its start page and paste your keywords with locations. Location matters a lot and influences the results immensely. For example, let’s extract Google Maps information about New York supermarkets:
Next, select how many businesses you would like to export from Google Maps. The more companies you scrape - the better, but remember that in reality, there may be fewer businesses than you specify.
For example, if you set the bot to scrape ‘up to 700 places’ but there are only 600 supermarkets in New York, the results won’t exceed the real number of supermarkets. Be careful and prudent when setting the limits:
Now you can launch the bot.
While the bot is working, entertain yourself with a practical video tutorial where I'm showing how to extract 100 phone numbers in 60 seconds with the Google Maps Scraper:
And now let’s take a look at the results:
We’ve exported data about as many as 167 New York supermarkets. You can use this information for your existing business development strategy or, if you have none, follow my tips below! 👇
Using business phone numbers for lead generation
Now that we’ve discovered who owns what phone number and who runs which site, I’ll show you how to use this valuable information in practice.
- Visit these companies personally since you now have their physical addresses and offer your services to them
- Send them official paper letters with your unique offers (again, using the addresses retrieved)
- Browse their websites to make sure they belong to the audience you are targeting
- Or take a step further and use the data retrieved by the Google Maps Scraper to export even more information about the companies you are interested in!
Once you’ve managed to locate a business by phone number you can combine the Google Maps Scraper with several other bots on my site for the means of effective lead generation. No matter which results you use - the ones retrieved by keyword or the ones retrieved by phone number - the strategies described below work 100% for both!
In a nutshell, this means that after the bot has managed to find business by phone you can just copy data from one of the columns, paste it into a special field on another bot’s page, and export the necessary results. It’s truly convenient!
Phone number validation
If you want to find business name by phone number as described above, I recommend you to validate the phone numbers first. Use valid phone numbers to retrieve details about their owners.
Also, you can use the following strategy:
- Use the Google Maps Scraper to export different companies’ phone numbers by keyword (i.e. use the bot normally)
- Copy the phone numbers retrieved
- Open the Phone Number Validator’s start page
- Paste the phone numbers retrieved in Step 1
- Launch the bot to check if the phone numbers retrieved are valid
Take a look at an example file representing what the results of Step 2 may look like, with each of the phone numbers having ‘yes’ or ‘no’ written opposite it in the ‘Valid?’ column.
Use the phone numbers retrieved for cold calling your potential clients.
Scraping user reviews by phone number
- Use the Google Maps Scraper to find business with phone number
- Copy the Place IDs of the retrieved businesses
- Open the Google Review Scraper’s start page
- Paste the Place IDs retrieved in Step 1 in the PLACE_ID:XXX format (e.g. you should write PLACE_ID:ChIJlTWmZvdYwokROyEKYwbPEwo instead of just ChIJlTWmZvdYwokROyEKYwbPEwo)
- Launch the bot to retrieve user reviews about these companies
Have a look at an example file to understand what the results of Step 2 will look like, with user reviews extracted for each of the businesses.
- Analyze real people’s reviews to discover what they like about your competitors and do the same but better
- Analyze real people’s reviews to discover what they dislike about your competitors and make sure you don’t do this
- Use people’s opinions as a source of new ideas on how to improve client experience in your business
Improving your linkbuilding strategy using phone numbers (+ domain extraction lifehack)
- Find a business name by phone number with the help of the Google Maps Scraper
- Copy the websites of the companies retrieved
- Open the Google First Result Finder’s start page
- Paste the websites retrieved in Step 1
- Launch the bot to export domains from URLs
- Copy the domains retrieved
Here is an example file where you can see what the results of Step 2 will look like, with the domains retrieved from the URLs. The bot used in Step 3 can only retrieve information by the domain (not by URL).
- Open the Backlink Checker’s start page
- Paste the domains retrieved in Step 2
- Launch the bot to export backlinks to your competitors’ websites
This example file will explain to you what the results of Step 3 will look like.
- Analyze your competition’s backlink building strategy
- Publish your backlinks on the same sites as your competition does and more
Using phone numbers for Leadgen on LinkedIn
- Use the Google Maps Scraper to find a business by their phone number
- Copy the names of the companies retrieved
- Open the Linkedin Company Finder’s start page
- Paste the names of the companies retrieved in Step 1
- Launch the bot to scrape these companies' LinkedIn profile URLs
- Copy the LinkedIn profile URLs retrieved
- Open the Linkedin Company Info Scraper’s start page
- Paste the LinkedIn profile URLs retrieved in Step 2
- Launch the bot to retrieve all-embracing information about these companies
In this example file, you’ll see the potential results of Step 3.
Also, you can use the LinkedIn Company Info Scraper not only to find a business by their phone number but also to hire top professionals in any sphere.
- Open the LinkedIn Company Jobs Scraper’s start page
- Paste the LinkedIn profile URLs retrieved in Step 2
- Launch the bot to retrieve these companies’ job listings
And the last example file for today will show you the possible results of Step 4, with all the job listings retrieved.
Hope these lifehacks will help you one day!
FAQ about how to find a business by phone number
Below I’m answering your most frequent questions on this topic:
How to find a business with a phone number on the Internet?
That’s as easy as a pie:
- If you need to check just one phone number, enter it in the Google Maps search field, press ‘Enter’, and you’ll get the desired result.
- If you need to find what company owns a phone number in bulk, open the Google Maps Scraper’s start page, paste your phone numbers list (the digits only), and launch the bot. The resulting table will contain information about the businesses that use these phone numbers.
How to find the owner of a phone number for free?
I don’t know how to find them for free but I do know how to find them for almost free! Checking one phone number using the Google Maps Scraper as described above will cost you just 5 cents!
How to find business name by phone number online?
Enter your phone numbers list and launch the Google Maps Scraper. Once the job is done, take a look at the C column in the resulting table. This column is called “Title” and it contains the names of the companies that you are looking for:
How to find owners of phone numbers without buying illegal databases?
Use legal and official information only. Google Maps is a 100% legal service containing contact data of nearly all American companies.
The Google Maps Scraper retrieves official and reliable data from Google Maps. Enter the phone numbers, launch the bot, and get a valid list of businesses that use these numbers.
Can you find a business by phone number outside the US using the Google Maps Scraper?
Unfortunately, you can’t. For now, this bot is only capable of retrieving 🇺🇸US🇺🇸 businesses by phone number. Please don’t enter any other countries since the bot won’t return any results.
However, I’m working on it! I’ll let you know when I’ve managed to teach the Google Maps Scraper to perform the phone number business lookup for other countries. Follow us on Twitter to be in the know.
Now you know how to find what company owns a phone number and not only! Let your cold calls turn into numerous hot leads!